We have been thinking about how we are going to sample blogs for a project on the design principles of blogs – we are going to look at parenting blogs on food. We need to develop a set of criteria from the different positions of the team to develop a shared sampling frame for selecting a purposive sample of blogs.One problem is – well what is a blog! We have to define what we mean by a blog for the purpose of this project – will it be a technical definition, the social/function definition, something the author-defines as a blog?
Some potential areas for generating criteria we discussed included:
- Substantive /domain of parenting and food – but then will we look at food from the everyday or the ritual (specific meal-times, religious or national meal time events)
- What kinds of multimodal features and principles do we want to capture in this sample?
- What kinds of narrative features and principles might we want to capture
- What social media features and principles?
- I guess we want to get different genres – but do we want the celebrity chefs?
- What forms/ Levels of participation will we go for ?
- Are we going to focus on the performance of the self/identity?
- How will we sample for diversity across social factors like age, gender, social class, sexuality
As always the start of a project is creating more questions than answers at the moment…
Author: Carey Jewitt